Friday, February 26, 2010

Spring Semester Thus Far

Blogging.....it shouldn't be such a struggle but it truly is. I can never find the time to blog. Or when I do find the time to blog....I can't think about anything to blog about. So here's just a little jumbled randomness.

Spring Semester = I feel old,and disoriented.

Why you ask? Because of time. The older I get, the more time flies by. I seriously felt like it was the second week of the semester, and just yesterday I realized I had to have all these midterm papers and tests next week. Aaaah! I honestly feel as if every semester gets faster and faster. If I'm not careful I'll blink and be 78.

Time flying means some good things. Like the end of the semester...which means I get to move out of my house. YAY!!!!! I seriously live in Satan's House. In that sense I can't wait for the semester to be over.

Dance is going really well. I have learned so much, and improved so much, and yet I know I still have so much to learn. I've really enjoyed my dance this semester. That is probably in part due to the fact that I am not taking 19 credits. (Dumb idea. Don't ever do it.) Plus I have amazing instructors and so much opportunity to get my work out there and particpate.

This semester for example I got to participate in Alwin Nicholais' IMAGO. It was a choreographer from the 60s...which has a large influence on the piece. You will see exactly what I mean. The dance is based on an imaginary world, much like OZ or Willy Wonka's Oompa Loompa's. Often times they would perform for children to spark their imagination. Our University got a grant to do the piece, for the Faculty Dance Concert this year, a concert with the Ririe Woodbury Company, and then taking it to New York next Spring to perform it there. We are even wearing the original costumes which are like 60 years old. SO COOL! Which includes little white cones on our head, with clown make-up. At this point I have not even the slightest idea if I'm going to New York since there are two casts, but it's a really big honor for the school, and such an amazing experience for me. It really has taught me so much, both good and bad about myself, the professional world, and the art with which I practice everyday. Here are some pictures and videos of people and companies who have done it in the past.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awszvKgl9fA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1FA_-RTyU&feature=related


The next opportunity I've gotten which I am absolutely ecstatic about is Dance in the Environment. An alumni of the SUU dance program came to my Modern Dance Class, and auditioned us while we had class. She lives in St. George and has been setting choreography on groups of dances in the environment with costumes, and make-up. She goes to a lot of different places to do this, so there's quite a bit of diversity. Then we take photo shoots, and video, and later combines all the dances on stage. For example we are doing a dance to music box music in the snow up in the canyon. Then we will have a big performance later. If Tim Burton did a dance it would be reminiscient of this. I absolutely love it! I'll post pictures as soon as I am able.

There's a lot more to blog about, but I'll leave it for next time, since I've already blogged a novel.

No comments: